Trial set for ex-football player

The trial for Praise Martin-Oguike, a former football player who was arrested and charged with rape and sexual assault in June, was set for March 4, 2013 at a scheduling conference this morning.

Martin-Oguike was not present at the conference. He was suspended from the football team and the university pending the outcome of his criminal proceedings upon his arrest. Whether Martin-Oguike has appeared at a Temple Student Conduct hearing is unclear, but his lawyer said he won’t be in school this year.

Martin-Oguike’s defense presented a forensic report before the court at the scheduling conference. The report, conducted by former Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jonathan Arden, offers conclusions different from the claims made by the┬ácomplainant in this case, a 21-year old female who said she was strangled and forcibly raped, Martin-Oguike’s lawyer said.

The prosecution will have 60 days to review the report before having the opportunity to submit a rebuttal at a status report scheduled for Dec. 14. A pre-trial was also scheduled for Feb. 28, 2013.

Kamal Johnson, a defensive tackle for the football team, was arrested on Oct. 5 and charged with kidnapping and assault. He was suspended from the football team, but his status as a student at the university has not changed, the university announced yesterday.