Cut to the Chase: Writers make late nite strike out

Letterman2.jpgI’m sitting at my computer, minding my own business. I’ve got laundry to fold and dishes to clean. And then, David Letterman provokes me to put those off and write.

I am all for the 12,000 writers from the Writers Guild of America striking. I am a supporter, as much of Hollywood (minus Carson Daly) is. Many networks have adapted. And then, there’s CBS.

CBS is my favorite station. In fact, my initials are CBS. I hope to work for CBS one day. But as I’m watching The Late Show with David Letterman, which has been in reruns since the strike began in early November, some things he said caught my attention.

First, he set up a skit where Alan Greenspan was saying goodbye to the Federal Reserve.

Then, he had a “reporter” at Superbowl XL.

After doing a quick search to verify my hypotheses, I learned that CBS is re-airing an episode that, according to my calculatoins, probably aired on Feb. 6, 2006. That’s 1 year and 10 months ago today.

The strike has been occurring for just more than four weeks, and CBS chose one of the least-timely shows they could have. I certainly hope that won’t go much further back than February 2006. If they do, it should be a classic…one that sticks out in the minds of all devoted fans (i.e. Drew Barrymore flashing Dave on his desk, anyone?).

Being that I refuse to watch Leno, a huge excuse for a comedian, and I’m in bed before Conan and Craig, I don’t know how they’re handling the strike. But frankly, I don’t care about Ben Bernake or the Pittsburgh Steelers. Or that Harrison Ford is in a “new” movie (Firewall, which premiered on Feb. 10, 2006. I don’t remember this at all).

Please reconsider, Les Moonves, for the writers’ sake. Out of respect for them, show off their best material. Not just any random thing you have stacked on the shelves.