Former football player sentenced to community service, anger management

A former Temple football player was sentenced to community service and other penalties in Philadelphia Municipal Court yesterday, stemming from an April arrest.

Wyatt Benson, 21, a former starting fullback, was put in an Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program by Judge Hon. Gerard Kosinski for his one count of aggravated assault and simple assault of another person that occurred back in April 2013.

Benson was issued 25 hours of community service, anger management counseling and a stay away order, according to his docket sheet.

Benson was charged in connection to an incident where a University of Pennsylvania student was assaulted during an altercation at a party near the University City campus on the night of April 26. The victim was struck in the eye during an argument that involved a former girlfriend of the complainant, who Benson was dating.

Benson was nominated for the 2013 All-State AFCA Good Works Team earlier in the year, but did not win the spot. The special award gave recognition to student athletes who gave commitment to their community through volunteer and other means of service.

Temple Athletics did not respond to comment on Benson’s status with the team, which he was suspended from before the start of the season. He is currently a student at the university.