Busy day for CSS at Morgan Hall

Three separate incidents occurred today at Morgan Hall, including accidental fire alarms, people trapped in an elevator and a mysterious hole in an window of which campus police have yet to determine the cause.

The first incident occurred around 2 a.m. Sunday morning, Sept. 15. Temple police responded to calls about a mysterious hole in a window on the eighth floor on the south side of Morgan Hall, said Acting Executive Director of Campus Safety Services Charlie Leone.

Leone said the hole was slightly larger than a golf ball, and police do not believe it was caused by a firearm. Leone said police found no projectile, but did find broken glass both inside the building and on the street below. Due to the height of the window, it was hard to tell if the cause of the hole came from inside or outside.

Leone said students reported hearing “firecrackers” shortly before the hole was found.

The second incident occurred later in the afternoon when contractors working inside the building accidentally tripped the fire alarms in both the north and south sections of the building.

The third incident occurred shortly after 5 p.m., when three elevators in the tower stopped working. Two people were trapped inside one of the elevators for around 30 minutes. Security officers in the building contacted the Otis Elevator Company and the Philadelphia Fire Department, the later of whom arrived to free the two people trapped.

None of the incidents appear related, Leone said.