“The How and the Why” hosted at Adrienne

For Interact Theater, which has had its home in Philly for more than 20 years, plays and live performances offer a venue for discussion and presentation of lesser-known/discussed issues throughout society. They dually act as a tool to effect social change in all facets of the community.

Their current production, “The How and the Why,” housed at the intimate Adrienne Theater between 20th and 21st streets on Sansom, stays true to the company’s mission. Set at a university in Massachusetts, the play’s storyline works on two different levels. Zelda is an accomplished professional in her field of evolutionary biology, with years of experience behind her. When her daughter — who she gave up for adoption and had never previously met — ends up in her office one day, the story continues on to explore the sentiment of reuniting mother and daughter.

The other level that the play works on is a discussion of gender and science. Rachel is also studying evolutionary biology, like her mother, and has formed a ‘revolutionary’ hypothesis regarding female menstraution — not your typical discussion of science, or evolution, if you ask me. The play delves deeper, not only into the two women’s relationship, but into the constructs of scientific exploration and gender in today’s society.

The women act continuously through two 45-minute halves during the show, and as the only two characters, their discussions provide the basis for the show. Interact stays true to their mission with the concepts explored in the play, which will run at the Adrienne through Nov. 13.