Suspect named in January shooting of student

Leonaldo Rivera | Courtesy Philadelphia Police

Philadelphia police announced Friday that they have identified a suspect wanted for the murder of 34-year-old Temple advertising major Alejandro Rojas-Garcia, who was shot in his car Jan. 24 on the 4200 block of Macalester Street in the Feltonville neighborhood.

Leonaldo Rivera, 25, has an address listed on the 200 block of Erie Street in Camden, New Jersey, police said in a press release. He has also been known to frequent the 300 block of East Williams Street in Camden.

Rojas-Garcia’s family mourned him in a Feb. 6 vigil at the site of his shooting, where they expressed anti-gun and anti-violence sentiments and were joined by Nelson Diaz, a Temple trustee and mayoral candidate.

Rojas-Garcia’s father, Wilfredo Rojas, an NAACP official in Gloucester County, New Jersey, said that day that he usually organized vigils for victims of violent crime.

“I never thought that I would be at a vigil for my own son,” he said. He promised further action.

“In the Rojas family, we don’t get angry, we get even,” Rojas said. “We get even by educating their kids, the criminals’ kids, and we get even by praying for them. And we get even by assuring that there will be justice.”

Rivera should be considered armed and dangerous, according to the release. Anyone with information on Rivera is advised to contact the Homicide Fugitive Squad at 215-686-3038, 215-686-3334 or call 911.

Joe Brandt can be reached at jbrandt@temple.edu or on Twitter @JBrandt_TU.