Good Neighbor discussed at TSG

The advancement of the Good Neighbor Policy was the main topic of discussion for the TSG General Body meeting held on Sep. 23 in the student center.

The new advertising slogans of the policy were displayed to an audience of about 200 by Kate Schaeffer, a program coordinator at HEART and Andrea Seiss, senior associate dean of students.

The duo was speaking in place of the scheduled Andrea Swan, director of Community and Neighborhood Affairs, who wasn’t able to attend the meeting.

“Respect the block” and “taking neighborly to the next level” are the new slogans for the policy. Student Activities will also form a backing committee focused on encouraging student interaction with the local community.

“We’re definitely a block by block campus,” Schaeffer said.

Schaeffer said the committee will include one member from TSG and expressed interest in collaboration with any student organizations participating in community service.

Ray Smeriglio, TSG director of communications spoke next at the meeting about a new program called Hoot Squad which will soon begin holding meetings.

“It’s an organization dedicated to connecting you students to alumni,” he said.

The director announcements were next then the open forum. For the first time, the organization announcements had some of the groups’ information already in the PowerPoint presentation. As announced last week, organizations can email TSG ahead of time to guaranteed being able to speak.

The deadline of applications for Speaker of the General Assembly has been extended to Friday.

Due to time constraints, most of the organization announcements not emailed in ahead of time were cut off with the meeting ending.