Scary Spice has a baby

While many Temple students, faculty, and alumni may be trying to get the scoop on President Ann Weaver Hart’s recent resignation notice (which, I admit, is also interesting), I’m getting the scoop on the Spice Girls.

Remember the days of “Wannabe” and “Spice Up Your Life?” I would guess that almost all currently college-age girls owned at least one Spice Girls CD during the 90s and probably watched Spice World, the Spice Girls movie, too. I know I did. The band sold over 75 MILLION records worldwide, making them the best-selling female band of all time. To much of the world’s surprise and dismay, they split in 2000.  In 2007-08 the five came back together for a reunion tour which was said to have grossed about $100 million. After the years of Spicemania, the girls settled down and many started families.

Last Thursday, ex-Spice Girl Scary Spice (or Mel B) gave birth to her third daughter. Her husband, Stephen Belafonte, and 12-year-old daughter were with her at Los Angeles’ Cedars-Sinai Medical Center to welcome the mini-Mel into the world. Apparently Mel was very enthusiastic about giving birth. She was cited by Mirror.co.uk saying, “I’ve tried the hot food, the running, the sex, the violence, I’ve tried it all.” In the end, the baby came naturally.  Another interesting piece of information about Mel B: Her second daughter, 4-year-old Angel, was the result of a relationship with Eddie Murphy.