Geno’s Steaks owner dies at 71

Joey Vento, owner of the iconic Geno’s Steaks in South Philadelphia, died yesterday  of a massive heart attack according to reports from the Associated Press and other news outlets. He was 71.

Geno’s Steaks opened at its 9th Street and Passyunk Avenue location in 1966, and has since become a Philadelphia tradition. The store is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. According to the Geno’s Steaks website, Vento learned about the cheesesteak business from his father, who had opened “Jim’s Steaks” in the early 1940s.

Vento is also well known for his controversial stand against illegal immigration. In 2006, Vento brought politics to the tables of his steak shop when he posted a sign that read: “This is America, when ordering speak English.” A debate over the legality of this sign immediately ensued, with critics claiming that it discouraged customers of certain nationalities from eating there. Vento said he never refused anyone service.

The city’s Commission on Human Relations then began an investigation of whether the sign was violating the city ordinance which bans discrimination in employment, public accommodation and housing. The commission found probable cause against Geno’s, and the case went on to a public hearing. But in March 2008, a three-member panel ruled in favor of Vento 2-1.