Mobile Weather Lab comes to Main Campus

This afternoon the CBS 3 Live Mobile Weather Lab camped out by the Bell Tower on what was, for the most part, a sunny day.

Junior BTMM major Angel Young visited the CBS 3 station for a class. She now follows CBS 3 meteorologist Justin Drabick on Facebook, and asked him to come to Temple.

“I’m passionate about CBS 3,” Young said. “Justin has been driving around in a lot of the snow storms, and I figured he could use a break, [it’s getting warm] so I said come to Temple!”

Segments broadcasted from Main Campus aired on CBS 3 at 4:15 and 6:15. Several students talked about spring break plans and read the forecast during the live broadcast.

Drabick showed off the van to students, which is equipped with forecasting technology and microwave capability.

Jake Jacobson, cameraperson and Mobile Lab driver, explained that this allows broadcasters the ability to ‘go live’ from anywhere, even while the van is moving, with cameras mounted both inside and outside the car. The forecast technology measures temperature, wind speed and direction, and other conditions.

Jacobson said that while stations in other cities utilize this mobile technology, they are the only station to do so in Philadelphia.

“It gives us an edge,” Drabick said.

The CBS 3 footage can be viewed at http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/category/watch-listen/video-on-demand/.