Temple wants Philly to know: it’s party time

Everyone knows it’s Temple’s 125th birthday – or, at least everyone that happens to be riding one of the subway cars decked out in Cherry and White.

Despite Temple’s plan to cut back on the 125th birthday celebration, advertisements about Temple’s “facts” have replaced ads telling riders to sell their gold or get tested at a free clinic.  According to SEPTA’s advertising partner, Titan Worldwide, the smaller ads above windows (11″ x 28″) go for $36 a pop, while the larger ones behind the row of three seats, like the one in the photo above, go for $50 per ad.

Fittingly, there are 125 facts about Temple that the school wants the community to know.  Here are a few that appeared on a subway car:

Fact #13: More than $200 million in private residential and commercial development in North Philadelphia was spurred by Temple University in recent years.

Fact #27: Temple University generates $2.7 billion for the Delaware Valley each year.

Fact #58: Temple University is the third largest private employer in the city of Philadelphia.

For all the facts, click here.

Is Temple sucking up to the community or just tooting it’s own horn?  It’s not a secret that some Philadelphians have expressed resentment toward Temple for taking over North Philly.  Most recently, TTN’s Brittany Diggs spoke with community members who were outraged at the placement of Temple’s medical school and the university’s disregard of the neighborhood.

Do you think Temple is just celebrating or reminding the community of all the good it has done?