SEPTA police strike looms

http://www.jackspolicegarage.com/images/septa120a.jpg

If no settlement has been reached by 2 p.m. tomorrow, SEPTA’s transit police will go on strike due to a long-running dispute over  contracts.

The Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting transit officers want the same starting pay as Philadelphia police officers. Currently SEPTA transit police start at $30,752 per year, Philadelphia police officers have a starting salary of about $39,000 annually.

SEPTA has released a press release outlining a safety contingency plan if there were to be a strike. City police and private security agents will work with SEPTA Police Commanders to patrol and monitor the SEPTA system.

The union representing the Transit police has recommended that riders avoid the SEPTA system if a strike occurs due to safety concerns.

Mayor Nutter expressed his disappointment in the union’s comments.

“To suggest, as the union spokesman has done, that SEPTA will be unsafe in the event of a strike is not only irresponsible, it is an insult to Philadelphia Police Officers and SEPTA Police Commanders,” said Mayor Nutter.  “SEPTA will be safe – that is our commitment.  To suggest otherwise is like falsely yelling “fire” in a crowded theater.  It’s reckless, dangerous and counterproductive.”