Shedding tears over the Spectrum?

spectrum14.jpg

The Grateful Dead has hosted 53 concerts at the Wachovia Spectrum – more concerts than any other performer. Now, the site where the landmark sits may be its graveyard.

Comcast Spectacor, the owner of the sports complex, announced yesterday plans for an entertainment complex to be built between the Wachovia Center and the Spectrum. One plan, which calls for a luxury hotel, would require the demolition of the Spectrum.

The building, which can seat more than 18,000, is now home to the Philadelphia Phantoms minor league hockey, Philadelphia Kixx soccer and Philadelphia Soul arena football.

Both would have to find new homes. The Phantoms could move to Camden or Atlantic City.

The Flyers and 76ers called the building home from 1967 to 1996 before moving to the Wachovia Center. The Flyers won their first Stanley Cup there in 1974, and the Sixers hosted many playoff and finals games inside, also.

Rocky.jpgThe facility made headlines in September 2006 when the statue of Rocky Balboa was permanently removed from its site at the north side of the Spectrum to its permanent home at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Finalized plans for the entertainment complex are expected by the end of January. Preliminary drawings include a movie theater or a music hall.

Philadelphians mourned the loss of another beloved landmark in 2003 when Veterans Stadium, home to the Phillies and Eagles, was imploded.