TSG discusses library and related programs at weekly meeting

The Temple Student Government general assembly convened in the Student Center on Monday afternoon to discuss additions to academic resources on Main Campus.

Steven Bell, an associate university librarian, discussed the new library that is scheduled to open in 2018.

“I do see that it can be a challenge for students to find good study space [and] good computing space,” Bell said. “We lack many of the amenities that allow students to be successful in the 21st century.”

Bell also mentioned the Alternative Textbook Project, which provides grants to 10 faculty members per semester to replace textbooks with alternative material for their courses. The goal is to save students money on textbooks.

“The amount of open material is increasing and [there is] leverage in library content and other open material,” Bell said.

Bell also emphasized the current resources the Paley Library offers such as one-on-one research assistance from librarians and the reservation system for study rooms.

“The library is not just books on shelves and chairs to study in,” Bell said.

The Paley Library will have a gaming room on the third floor, which is in coordination with the gaming club at Temple.

A Digital Scholarship Program System will also be available on Paley’s lower level in the Spring 2015 semester.

“[The system] is an intersection of computerization and humanities,” Bell said. “It teaches undergraduates how to do research in humanities and the social sciences.”

Trustees will vote on the design of the new library next month.

Bell also discussed a quad to be built near the Bell Tower after the demolition of Barton and Beury halls. He said that all the academic services will be around the one quad space.

“I think the design will be amazing for our campus,” Bell said. “I believe there will be nothing else quite like it.”

The TUnity release event will be at 7 p.m. tonight at the Bell Tower. Students will be able to endorse the statement with the laptops and iPads that will be provided.

The Student Organization of the Week was Delta Phi Epsilon. The sorority raised around $16,000 through the fundraiser D for Dude, which benefitted the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Lian Parsons can be reached at lian.parsons@temple.edu or on Twitter @Lian_Parsons.