Longtime employee named BOT secretary

A longtime university employee was appointed vice president and secretary to the Board of Trustees last week.

Anne Nadol has been a Temple employee since 2000 and a member of the executive office of the president for 15 years, according to a university press release.

According to the release, Michael Gebhardt, who was university counsel and secretary to the board, will remain university counsel.

“It’s a big job, but I’m looking forward to it,” Nadol said. “I know most of the trustees pretty well, so that relationship already exists.”

The BOT separated the positions of university counsel and secretary of the board because “it is a more common structure that universities use,” said Brandon Lausch, a university spokesman in an email.

“The prior arrangement was a historical holdover,” Lausch added. “The new structure is now in line with best practices in higher education.”

Former university counsel and secretary to the board George Moore consolidated the two positions 25 years ago, Nadol said.

“Both jobs are pretty big jobs to begin with. … [They were] two separate positions that happened to be held by one person,” she added. “It will help us streamline and funnel information to the board in a way that will be simpler.”

Responsibilities of the secretary of the board include overseeing the operations of the board and its committees and keeping the board informed about the university.

Ray Betzner, another university spokesman, said Nadol “knows this place really, really well.”

“Keeping the board informed and making sure their questions are answered are a big job,” he said. “Her long experience with how the university operates and the trustees will be helpful on both sides.”

Lian Parsons can be reached at lian.parsons@temple.edu or on Twitter @Lian_Parsons.