Police arrest suspect in connection to two armed robberies

Robert Sherrill, 26, has been arrested in connection to two armed robberies near campus last week. | COURTESY Philadelphia Police

Philadelphia Police have arrested a suspect in connection to two separate armed robberies that occurred near Main Campus last Thursday morning.

Robert Sherrill, 26, of North Clarion Street near York, was apprehended at his home Oct. 17, and has been charged with carjacking, robbery and other offenses, according to a press release from Philadelphia Police’s Office of Public Affairs.

According to the release, police were able to arrest Sherrill after uploading surveillance video of the two incidents to Philadelphia Police’s YouTube channel—a carjacking and armed robbery near 10th Street and Susquehanna Avenue, and an armed robbery on 15th Street near Montgomery Avenue.

Because of the video, tips were generated, and Sherrill was identified as a suspect, police said. Executive Director of Campus Safety Services Charlie Leone previously told The Temple News he was confident the video would lead to an arrest.

“Video’s been so helpful to us,” Leone said in an interview Saturday. “I wish [robberies] would never happen to us, but when it does happen, the video has been really helpful in identifying people.”

According to court documents, Sherrill has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Nov. 3.