‘Person of interest’ arrested in sexual assault of student

Philadelphia Police have arrested a suspect in connection to the sexual assault and armed robbery of a Temple student that occurred Sept. 28.

Officer Tanya Little, a Philadelphia Police spokeswoman, said the man who has been arrested is a “person of interest” in the case, but was apprehended on charges not related to the sexual assault and armed robbery last month.

Executive Director of Campus Safety Services Charlie Leone said Philadelphia Police are still in the process of deciding whether to charge the man with the incident from Sept. 28.

“They have a person in custody from a previous warrant,” he said. “Right now, they’re basing it off that and still in the process of deciding whether to charge him with the incident.”

The Daily News reported the suspect, whose name has not been released because charges have not been filed, was taken into custody by U.S. Marshals last Wednesday night or early Thursday morning.

Leone said U.S. Marshals tend to be involved when trying to find a fugitive that has been on the run. He added that Temple Police’s next actions depend on Philadelphia Police’s Special Victims Unit.

“We’re going to circle back with the Special Victims Unit and see what the next steps will be,” he said. “So we’re following their lead.”

Steve Bohnel and Lian Parsons can be reached at news@temple-news.com or on Twitter @TheTempleNews.