Future TU holds first general assembly meeting

The first Temple Student Government general assembly of the year convened Monday afternoon to introduce the new senior leadership team, as well as TSG committee directors.

The meeting opened with TSG’s mission statement, which promised to “provide a representative government to the student body.”

Student body president Ryan Rinaldi said general assemblies will be structured differently this year. Organization representatives will select one out of nine committees to join with during meetings and work towards the goal of making progress within that committee.

“We want [the assembly] to take an active approach this year,” Rinaldi said.

There will also be an overarching theme of each meeting, like that of Monday’s meeting: focus.

Director of Student Engagement Dr. Carmen Phelps outlined upcoming events for The Burrow, a new multicultural center for students on 2026 N. Broad St.

Owl Talk Tuesdays will be held every Tuesday in The Burrow or in another designated location. Owl Talks will be student-led discussions about current events and topics relating to understanding diversity and multiculturalism.

“It’s an opportunity to ask questions and share ideas,” Phelps said.

The kickoff event at The Burrow is Sept. 8.

Another upcoming event is a Labor Day picnic on Sept. 7, organized by project coordinator for campus safety, Captain Eileen Bradley. Temple students, faculty and staff are invited to a cookout with the community on 15th and Page streets.

TSG is also seeking a publicist, a director of local and community affairs and a webmaster. Applicants are encouraged to apply via email to speaker of the house Jacob Scheiner (jacob.scheiner@temple.edu) or secretary Mack Caruso (mack.caruso@temple.edu).

Lian Parsons can be reached at lian.parsons@temple.edu or on Twitter @Lian_Parsons.