University investigating recent car-for-hire service incidents

Temple Police issued an email earlier tonight notifying students about two recent incidents involving car-for-hire services.

Charlie Leone, executive director of Campus Safety Services, confirmed that the email was legitimate. He added that Temple Police uses the same software for mass emails as the TU Alert system.

According to the email, one arrest has been made where a driver was charged with harassing a Temple student. A university spokesman said that case involved the driver and someone outside the vehicle, and added that the second case involving another student is still under investigation.

The spokesman said an email was sent out in order to notify students of the incidents. Because both cases didn’t cause an immediate threat to the student body, no TU Alerts were sent out, he added.

Both incidents happened within the past 48 hours, and the university is investigating several different car-for-hire service companies who may have been involved, the spokesman said.

“Part of the issue is that there are some [services] in the city that are licensed and recognized, and some that aren’t,” he said.

The email concluded by offering recommendations to students while walking around the city, including “traveling with trusted friends” and “trusting your instincts.”

Steve Bohnel can be reached at steven.bohnel@temple.edu or on Twitter @Steve_Bohnel.