Sorority under investigation for racial slur

Temple is investigating a recent incident that involved a Delta Zeta sorority officer using a racial slur during a Greek Week event on Main Campus last Saturday.

According to a university statement, “Temple has addressed the issue with the Greek organization, which has taken strong action against the individual … The university is also using this incident as an opportunity to discuss our expectations for student behavior with the members of the Greek community.”

Temple Student Government also released a statement on the incident, detailing its own investigation.

“After meeting with the appropriate individuals in Student Affairs and the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Leadership, Temple Student Government is supporting administrative staff in properly executing the steps needed to resolve this situation,” the statement read. “As the incoming Temple Student Government leadership, we do not condone this incident nor any use of racial slurs or intolerance. We now call on our fellow Temple students to embrace the diversity that this university offers, abide by the Student Code of Conduct, and live by the TUnity statement.”

Temple has 14 sororities out of its 30 recognized Greek organizations on or near Main Campus, five of which are part of Temple’s Panhellenic Association.

Check back for updates, and a more detailed story in next week’s print edition.

Steve Bohnel can be reached at steven.bohnel@temple.edu or on Twitter @Steve_Bohnel.