Gov. Wolf proposes restoration of state funding to higher education

In his budget address Tuesday, Gov. Tom Wolf said he would restore 50 percent of the state funding cut from higher education institutions in the past few years, with the expectation of a tuition freeze at the affected schools.

“In return for these increases, today I am calling on our institutions of higher education to freeze tuition, and I expect them to answer that call,” Wolf said.

For Temple, this amounts to an increase of more than $15 million after being flat-funded at just under $140 million since 2011.

The proposal must be approved by the state’s General Assembly – meaning the House of Representatives and the Senate, which are both currently controlled by Republicans.

Following the announcement, President Theobald said that he appreciated Gov. Wolf’s commitment to funding higher education throughout Pennsylvania.

“We are grateful for the governor’s investment in public higher education in Pennsylvania,” Theobald said in a university press release. “The restored funds in the governor’s proposal—if approved by the General Assembly—will go directly to helping us hold down tuition and recruit the best faculty.”

For Temple, the next step in the state funding process will be public hearings before the House and Senate appropriation committees, which are scheduled for March 24.

Joe Brandt can be reached at jbrandt@temple.edu or on Twitter @JBrandt_TU.