No agreement met for election in adjunct unionization

A conference call scheduled on Feb. 10 to discuss an election for adjunct unionization was canceled after university officials “raised technical and legal objections,” said Art Hochner, president of the Temple Association of University professionals.

Adjuncts filed for authorization cards in mid-December with the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board to unionize for TAUP, which represents about 1,400 full-time faculty members, not including those who instruct in the health professional buildings.

“[The university doesn’t] seem to want the adjuncts to unionize,” Hochner said. “This is simply about giving adjuncts the chance to vote. Temple doesn’t have to do anything but let them have their self-determination.”

The next step for unionization is a hearing scheduled on March 19 with the PLRB in Harrisburg where the university, adjunct and adjunct representatives can discuss differences to hopefully reach an agreement on an election date.

Until then, a rally and vigil “in support of a collective bargaining election for adjunct faculty” will be held at 11 a.m. on Feb. 23 at the corner of Broad Street and Cecil B. Moore Avenue.

Hochner said the event is being held to “get Temple’s attention so maybe they’ll change their mind.”

Sharon Boyle, associate vice president for Human Resources operations, could not be reached for immediate comment.