Philadelphia Police begins body camera pilot program

By Bob Stewart

The Philadelphia Police department has begun its body camera pilot program in the 22nd district, which covers Temple. On Dec. 1, 30 officers and one sergeant volunteered to start wearing the cameras and help the department select the best model.

“We chose the 22nd district because it is one of our busiest districts,” said Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey. “Whatever issues may come up as a result of having body-worn cameras we’ll find out pretty quickly here.”

The officers will try out six different models of body cameras. One model features a front-facing screen so subjects can see what the officer is recording.

Lieutenant Thomas McLean said the picture and audio quality falls below the level of the average smartphone but manufacturers try to improve the equipment about every six months.

McLean said the department is still trying to figure out what Temple students can expect from the system.

“We’re new at this,” McLean said. “We really haven’t had a big weekend where we’ve been out interacting with the Temple students. So this is new ground … but if a crime is being committed obviously we’re going to record it as evidence.”

The main reason for the pilot program is to determine the the most cost-efficient equipment. The cameras range from $300 to $1000, but file storage fees can be high. Taser, one of the manufacturers being tested, charges $40 per camera per month for storage.

The feedback from officers will also help determine who gets the contract. Some of the models are large and difficult to secure to a uniform, which includes a radio, badge, and bullet-proof vest.

“If I have it on my shoulder, it’s [only secured by] a clip,” said Officer Lisa Figueroa. “If I’m struggling with someone, if someone grabs me … it [may] fall.”

If students have concerns about potentially being on camera, McLean said they are not alone.

“[Officers] don’t want to get in any kind of trouble,” McLean said. “It’s a new technology. They don’t want to have a slip of the tongue or a uniform violation … something that they normally wouldn’t get in trouble for but now it’s documented.”

“No one likes being on camera,” McLean added. “Everyone’s behavior changes. It makes you so uncomfortable, even though you have nothing to hide. It’s no fun under the bright light. It’s a permanent record for what you say and do.”

Bob Stewart can be reached at robert.stewart@temple.edu or on Twitter @bstew74