Current breakdown to Class of 2018 announced at trustees meeting

Temple’s Board of Trustees held a general body meeting May 13 at the Liacouras Center, confirming the appointments of two new trustees and confirm an administrator, establishing a new professorship and approving the agendas of its committees, which met weeks prior.

In the president’s report, which is made at the beginning of every general body meeting, President Theobald said the current makeup of students accepted to Temple for the Class of 2018 is about two-thirds male, a third minority, and 4.7 percent international students.

Theobald added that many other universities in Philadelphia have extended their application deadlines to make up for a shrinking amount of high school graduates.

“They will continue to recruit prospective students, including those who have already placed a deposit at Temple,” Theobald said.

The board elected Scott F. Cooper, former president of the Philadelphia Bar Assocation, as a trustee and new president of the Temple University Alumni Association, taking over for trustee John Campolongo, who received a resolution of appreciation for his presidency.

“Scott’s going to be a great leader for us,” Campolongo said. “He’s going to challenge us in ways, probably, which I haven’t, which is why we rotate people out.

The Alumni Association focuses on encouraging alumni involvement, Campolongo said, adding that involved alumni “want to give any way they can, and that doesn’t always mean money, it’s volunteering too.”

The board also elected Goldman Sachs Head of Global Compliance Alan M. Cohen. Both new trustees terms began Tuesday, May 13 and end Oct. 10, 2017.

James Dicker, a top fundraiser for Lafayette College in Easton, Pa., was confirmed as Temple’s vice president for institutional advancement after being appointed by Theobald in March.

The trustees approved the establishment of the Selma Lee Bloch Brown professorship in the College of Science and Technology. Brown, who bequeathed $353,000 to CST “to encourage women in the study of mathematics and physics.” The fund will provide nearly $16,000 annually to professors, according to CST Dean Michael Klein’s report.

The trustees will next meet on June 26 in the Feinstone Lounge of Sullivan Hall.

Joe Brandt can be reached at jbrandt@temple.edu or on Twitter @JBrandt_TU.