TSG holds first meeting of 2014

Temple Student Government held its first meeting of the spring semester Monday, Jan. 27 in the student center.

Temple Athletics Marketing Manager Denise Fitzpatrick urged students to buy tickets to the women’s basketball game at McGonigle Hall Tuesday, Jan.28 where Temple will host No. 1-ranked University of Connecticut, who is undefeated this season.

Student Body President Darin Bartholomew spoke about safety in campus buildings, an issue where TSG has put more focus after a Temple professor was assaulted in October. Bartholomew said next week’s meeting will host a speaker from Campus Safety Services to discuss building safety.

Bartholomew addressed student concerns on campus food services and spoke about the results of a private meeting with Sodexo officials on Friday. Sodexo said it would introduce more healthy options, including salad bars on weekends at Morgan Hall and the Student Activities Center, and calorie-count menus at Morgan Hall. The food provider also said it would train employees to better handle long lines in the future.

TSG announced an update to their initiative to allow Owl Cards to be used in SEPTA’s new payment technology. TSG is working on three different proposals with SEPTA’s Youth Advisory Council, Bartholomew said, with the hope that the current Owl Cards can work as payment, despite SEPTA’s announcement that they would not.

The annual Owls on the Hill Day, where students visit the state Capitol and share issues with legislators, will take place in April, though a finite date has not yet been set, Bartholomew said.