Students react to attack on cop

A video posted to Philly.com showing a SEPTA police officer being attacked in the Cecil B. Moore subway station while bystanders watched gained heavy criticism from police officers and officials in the city.

The Temple News spoke with several students around campus asking for their reactions to the video and what they would do in such as situation.

“It’s scary to think that most people aren’t willing to step in and help someone even if they see something going wrong,” Erin Cain a freshman biology major said. “Even though it was a person of authority, clearly you know who was in the right, people still didn’t feel the urge to do anything about it.”

Alex Fern, a freshman actuarial science, was surprised by the actions of the suspect and his ability to overtake a police officer.

“Honestly, the end result was a lot more than what he should have done, the fee isn’t worth all that trouble,” Fern said. “I feel a little unsafe that he wasn’t able to defend himself one hundred percent, I understand there would be instances where he can’t defend himself, but it seemed kind of easy almost for the attacker to take him over.”

As for what she would in the situation, Fern admitted that she didn’t know.

“I’d like to think that I would be one of the people that would help, but me having never been put in that situation I wouldn’t know for sure.  Everyone thinks in that situation someone else would step up.”

Allison Macolino, a sophomore tourism and hospitality management major expressed shock in the crowd’s actions.

“I think it’s crazy how now one helped him.  Everyone just stood there and watched,” Mocolino said. “I can see where people don’t want to get involved, but I don’t really understand why they wouldn’t help the cop.  It didn’t even look like anyone went to go get more help, you don’t have to intervene but you couldn’t go get someone else?”

“It makes it that much more real because it’s where I live and I use that Subway station all the time,” she added.