Mock trial teams take top spots at Drexel Invitational

Temple two mock trial teams amassed quite a trophy case collection at the first annual Drexel Invitational on Jan. 20. At the conclusion of the two-day tournament, the teams were awarded first and second place out of the eight teams competing.

Team Cherry, which is co-captained by Grace Osa-Edoh and Emily Kustina, finished first overall with an unblemished record of 8-0-0 after facing Drexel C, LaSalle, Rutgers and Philadelphia University. Team “White,” whose captains are Nicholas Santalucia and Christina Farrell, was awarded second place with a record of 5-2-1 after competing with Rutgers, Philadelphia University, St. Johns University and Drexel B.

Besides for the team accolades, several members brought home individual awards.

For Team Cherry, lawyer Adella Hillebrecht won both top plaintiff and defense awards, while lawyer and co-captain of the team Emily Kustina also won a top attorney award for the defense. Witness Paarth Malkan received awards for both the plaintiff and defense and was joined by witness Kristin Antario, who won an award for her defense testimony.

Team White had three members recognized in the individual award ceremony. Lawyer and captain Nicholas Santalucia took home a top attorney plaque, while defense witnesses Rebekah Mills and Taddeo von Gleichen each were recognized.

The team’s next competition will be a regional tournament hosted by the American Mock Trial Association, the team’s parent organization, which will run from Feb. 16 to Feb. 17 in Lancaster, Pa.