Public Workshop offers upcoming volunteer opportunities

The Philadelphia Horticultural Society has teamed up with Public Workshop, a community-building organization focused on uniting youth and their communities through interactive design work, to create a one of a kind playground landscape at the PHS Pop-Up Garden at 20th and Walnut streets.

The event is a volunteer opportunity open to high school and college students as well as anyone from the community who would like to participate in building the playground.

As part of the Public Workshop project Tiny WPA, an effort to engage youth in civic innovation within their community, the Pop-Up Garden design event hopes to attract young adults ages 16-26. Design experience is not required ­– just an enthusiasm for creative expression that can be channeled into what will soon be a unique play structure for younger children to explore.

If interested in being part of what Public Workshop founder Alex Gilliam calls a “really good core group of high school and college students” who have made up the volunteer effort so far, the Public Workshop offers plenty of opportunities to get involved.

Upcoming events this week begin tomorrow, Oct. 11, with the Buildathon from 5 to 7 p.m. This Saturday, volunteering hours will take place during the Design Philly event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Those who are interested can contact Alex Gilliam at alex.publicworkshop.us.

More information on the Public Workshop’s Pop-Up Playground can be found here.

Look for full-length coverage on the Pop-Up Playground in the Oct. 16 issue of The Temple News.