South Africa SCT Study Away Program Suspended

The inaugural South Africa 2011 summer program, led by journalism professor Dr. Shenid Bhayroo, achieved more than Temple’s SCT ever thought possible.

Eleven journalism and research students conducted stories, produced news videos and documentaries, while completely embracing an entirely new culture more than 15,000 miles away.

News stories were published on the Department of Journalism’s news website, www.philadelphianeighborhoods.com, and the series itself was a finalist for the EPPY (Editor & Publisher) award in the Best College/University Journalistic or Documentary Report category. Research students presented final projects at the Global Temple Conference and student documentary work is still planned to be broadcasted on TUTV.

According to the South Africa Press Release issued this week by the dean’s office, Bhayroo and director of study away programs Erin Palmer, “conflicting commitments” have suspended the program for summer 2012.

The majority of South Africa Study Away alumni — me being one of them — are disappointed at the thought of suspending the program, and even have written several letters to the coordinators expressing our feelings toward the unfortunate decision. It truly was a life-changing opportunity that has given us so much real-life field experience. It is sad to see others unable to have the same chance.

I have high hopes that SCT reincorporates the program for 2013. It is too good to lose.

SCT South Africa students in Soweto, 2011