South Gateway residence hall project will likely don trustee’s name

Temple’s largest residence hall underway at Broad Street and Cecil B. Moore Avenue will likely don a trustee’s name, pending finalized paperwork.

At today’s Board of Trustees meeting, the trustees approved the authorization for the university to name the new residence hall, dining and retail complex. Although documents will still need to be finalized, David Unruh, senior vice president for Institutional Advancement, said the complex will likely be named in honor of Trustee Mitchell Morgan and his wife, Hilarie Morgan. The couple offered a $5 million donation for the project, he said.

Board Chairman Patrick J. O’Connor thanked the Morgans for their support to Temple as the board unanimously approved the naming process.

Mitchell Morgan is an alumnus, having earned an accounting degree, in 1976, and a law degree, in 1980, from the university.

Similarly, the board approved the following naming opportunities:

• The box office and green room in the Temple Performing Arts Center for Kal and Lucille Rudman, two well-known philanthropists in the area. Kal Rudman is also a Temple alumnus.
  • The coach’s locker room in Edberg-Olson Hall for J. William Mills III, a trustee.
  • The hydrotherapy training center in Edberg-Olson Hall for Peter Chodoff, M.D., an alumnus and booster for Temple. The football practice field adjacent the hall is also named after Chodoff.