Could Hart be replaced by…Rendell?

Ed Rendell (right) at a rally in McGonigle Hall in 2008, alongside Hillary Clinton and Michael Nutter. CHRIS WINK TTN FILE PHOTO

No–he’s not running in the Nov. 8 municipal elections, but could former Governor Ed Rendell be campaigning to…come to Temple?

While Rendell filling in the shoes of President Ann Weaver Hart, who’s stepping down as of June 30, 2012, may seem like a stretch for some, a few people don’t seem to think so.

In Philadelphia Magazine’s blog, the Philly Post, Paul Davies wrote he believed Rendell to be the perfect fit for Hart’s successor.

In short, Davies wrote that Rendell is “gettable,” and would have no struggle schmoozing local politicians and business executives to accomplish what the university needs.

“Best of all, my guy is a hall of famer when it comes to fundraising. Business execs throw money at him like he’s a stripper at Scores,” Davies wrote.

What’s more, a Twitter account, @ED4TU, and a Facebook page supporting Rendell’s coming to Temple recently cropped up, too.

Oh, and we can’t ignore the fact that Rendell, along with Mayor Michael Nutter, recently wrote a letter to the Big East on Temple’s behalf.

Are all of these things purely coincidental? Or could the former governor be interested in taking over the nest?

We’re not sure–seeing as the Temple just revealed its Presidential Search Committee (and its professional search party, Witt/Keiffer) yesterday–but what do you think? Sound off in the comment section.