EgoPo theater performance relives Anne Frank’s story

As part of EgoPo Classic Theater’s Festival of Jewish Theater season, the Prince Music Theater on Chestnut Street is hosting a production of “The Diary of Anne Frank.” Set in the family’s attic annex, the iconic Holocaust story stays true to Frank’s writing. The play uses narration from the diary to progress the scenes in the play.

The families in the story survived in their hideout for more than a year and were captured by the Nazis just as Allied forces began liberating European countries. Though the families’ fates weren’t included in Anne’s diary, historical records say that the families were taken to concentration camps on one of the last Nazi trains out of Holland. Anne died of Typhus at the Bergen-Belsen camp just a month before its liberation.

Sara Yoko Howard, a recent Temple grad, plays Anne’s character. Russ Widdall, who plays the character of Mr. Van Daan, is also a Temple graduate. Temple theater professor and faculty production manager Matthew Miller worked as the scenic designer and production manager for the show.

The show runs until Nov. 6. Other productions as part of the Jewish Theater Festival include a world premier of “The Golem,” and “A Dybruk.” Find out more about the shows atĀ egopo.org.