What’s a movement without the music?

The sixties counterculture movement saw the likes of Dylan, Joan Baez, and others, especially folk artists, who’s music had its roots in the voice of the people. They unified and vouched for demonstrators, and eventually became nearly synonymous with the movements they promoted. A story on NPR last weekend asked where’s the music of the occupy movement, and beyond that, will there be 21st century protest music to unite this cause?

It’s a good question, especially because it can’t be answered by the ‘hippie drum circles’ that have also become interchangeable with the Occupy movement. Not to say that bongo drums and banjo strumming don’t have the same unifying qualities — music in any shape or form can bring people together out of passion and pure enjoyment. The role of protest music isn’t necessarily to put a famous face and tunes to the movement, but it certainly something worth noting in comparison to past mass protests in the U.S.

Rumors of a concert by Radiohead at Occupy Wall Street on Sept. 30 turned out to be just that — rumors. Though appearances have been made by a few artists. Neutral Milk Band stopped by Zuccoti Park for a quick set on Oct. 5. Immortal Technique also stopped by for a performance of “A Toast to the Dead.” On Oct. 6, Talib Kweli dropped a track off his newest album (Talib Kweli at Occupy Wall Street), as well as “Thieves in the Night,” a jam from Black Star (Kweli and Mos Def). Kanye West and Russell Simmons both visited the Occupy site in New York on Oct. 10. Chicago rapper Lupe Fiasco, among numerous other artists, have vocalized support for the movements across the country.

A performance at City Hall by folk/punk band Mischief Brew is slated for tomorrow night at 9:30 p.m. If it doesn’t happen we’ll have to wait and see what other sounds might take the place of incessant bongo drumming and chanting.