PSU defensive tackles live up to hype

On Tuesday, Sept. 13 coach Steve Addazio told the media during a press conference that he was impressed by what he saw of the Penn State defensive front on film.

“Their defensive front is one of the best defensive fronts I’ve seen,” Addazio said.  “I look at Devin Still and Jordan Hill and those tackles are outstanding, they’re disruptive, big, athletic.”

“I think they’re a legitimate defense,” Addazio added.

So come game day, it was no surprise to Temple’s coaching staff or redshirt junior quarterback Mike Gerardi that the Nittany Lions’ defensive line made an impact on the game’s outcome. 

Gerardi also stated on Tuesday during the press conference that he thought the tackles had talent.

“Their defensive tackles are pretty good,” Gerardi said.  “You really got to understand that you have to get the ball out of your hands.  You got to understand that they’re going to get pressure on you, only rushing three or four, leaving seven guys in coverage.  So just got to go through progressions and execute and just take what they give you.”

By the end of a 14-10 loss for the Owls yesterday, the running game generated a total of 74 yards, the lowest of the season.  Penn State defensive tackles junior Jordan Hill and senior Devon Still played a factor, as Hill recorded three total tackles and Still posted six tackles with one sack.