TSG apportions money for SEPTA token giveaway, plans to inform students

When the fall semester rolls around, some students will be able to save themselves the money – and hassle – of buying SEPTA tokens to take a ride on the subway. They may just learn something, too.

As promised in TU Nation’s, Temple Student Government’s executive ticket, campaign last spring, TSG will be implementing a new program in which students who “register” on its website will be eligible for free SEPTA tokens.

Colin Saltry, student body president, said in an email that the organization had a surplus of more than $10,000 at the end of last semester. This money, he said, is being used to “invest in office upgrades and equipment as well as supplies and promotional materials,” and to buy 1,500 tokens for the semester.

On a given weekend, the organization will distribute 50 sets of 2-tokens to the first 50 registered students who show up to the giveaway.

But registering isn’t just about getting free SEPTA Tokens.

Saltry said the point in having students register is actually to inform them and allow them to advocate for Temple.

By registering, Saltry said, the students’ information will be used to sign them up for TU Alerts, used by the university to communicate with students during emergencies, and for TALON, Temple Advocates Legislative Outreach Network.

Who knew that signing up for a free ride out of North Philly could simultaneously mean becoming more aware and involved with the university?

Will you be signing up for the free tokens?