Daily News writer and Temple News alum Phil Jasner passes away

Phil Jasner, the Philadelphia Daily News’ NBA beat writer since 1981, has passed away today after battling an undisclosed illness. Jasner was highly respected as writer in Philadelphia and beyond. He was a past president of the Professional Basketball Writers Association and the Philadelphia College Basketball Writers Association. He was a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, which presented him with the Curt Gowdy Media Award for his contributions to the sport over the course of his career.

Jasner worked as both a writer and an editor for The Temple News from 1960 to 1964. In October 2009, Jasner did an interview with fellow TTN alum Michael Sesak, who is currently with the New York Times, about his time with the paper, here was what he said:

“I was a commuting student, and The Temple News became my home away from home. I always felt comfortable in the offices that were then on Park Avenue. I didn’t quite understand it then, but it was a spawning ground for men and women who would become top journalists in virtually every facet of the profession.

“I eventually rose to become managing editor, second-in-command to Betsy Zakroff, but my heart was, and is, in sports.

“My fondest memories include helping to put together a special section when the Temple basketball team went to the National Invitation Tournament and a trip I made to Lexington, Ky., by train, where I covered Temple-Kentucky for both the News and for WRTI-FM. Merrill Reese, now the Hall of Fame caliber play-by-play voice of the Philadelphia Eagles, was the play-by-play voice that night, too.

“One more memory: the days when a football player and track and field performer named Bill Cosby would come to the offices to try out some of his comedic material before going off to appear at clubs in New York.”