North Broad falls victim to Google empire

Well, at least Temple’s little slice of North Broad Street has. According to a Computer Services memorandum sent out Wednesday, TUmail will be making the switch to Gmail (read: Google Mail) by mid-November.

The memorandum, for those of you who have not received or have not read it, starts off:

“The current TUmail system is almost six years old and is reaching the end of its lifecycle. To ensure that Temple’s e-mail remains first-class, Computer Services needs to upgrade this resource.”

Funny, I didn’t know e-mail systems had lifecycles, but hey, TUmail was as close to dead as I’ve seen any technology lately, so more power to them.

So, your fancy new Temple e-mail will be officially called “TUmail Powered by Google,” and worry not, Computer Services says it won’t change your @temple.edu addresses or any of your aliases. Those are yours to keep. Gmail features what will appear to be unlimited space (more than 7GB to be exact, for anyone who knows what that means), special labels for your e-mail (to separate that highly important Facebook e-mail from that not-so-hot note from your sociology prof about extra credit field trips or what-have-you), Google Calendar, Google Docs and a pretty cool e-mail search engine (like that of Google.com … surprise!). And, Google assures you, you will never have to delete a message again.

Enjoy!