The Quiet Solitude of Jimmy John’s

05_vito.jpg

I read an article about sandwich shop, Jimmy John’s. Awkwardly located in The Edge, it is having trouble drawing in clientèle. Jimmy John’s boasts over 650 locations, offering an array of gourmet sandwiches. I have had it in my mind to eat there; and last week, I finally saw where Jimmy John’s is actually located.

On Monday, I had to stay on campus late, and my friends and I needed some food. I suggested we give this Jimmy John’s a try. We made our way to the secluded storefront with its large glass windows. We could see that Jimmy John’s had absolutely no customers. The man whom I perceived to be the manager was sitting in one of the booths staring out forlornly. It was a sad picture. He just seemed so lonely. Fortunately, we were about to improve his day with our presence and our insatiable hungers.

As we walked into the store, the manager’s face brightened, and he quickly rose from his seat to take his rightful place behind the register. The first thing I noticed was the prominently displayed signs indicated that my mother wants me to eat at this establishment. I thought that seemed a bit presumptuous. How do these people know anything about my mother or what she wants?

The menu
boasts a wide variety of specialty sandwiches. I found it to be a bit overwhelming, so I asked the now sunny manager and his crew of sandwich-smiths which they thought was the sandwich for me. While the general consensus was that all the sandwiches are of high quality, number five (The Vito) was the mother of all sandwiches. Both my friend McMillan and I purchased this sandwich. It was a good decision. The sandwich was tasty with its assortment of meats from a pig. I liked the fixings as well. However, I would have liked the vinaigrette to be a bit more tangy. The sandwich also treated my wallet with a gentle kindness, only setting me back a few cents over five dollars for a something that was quite large. It is my opinion that were it not for the unfortunately hidden location of Jimmy John’s, that it would probably get more business. It certainly deserves more business than a place like Wendy’s on Broad, which always has steady clientèle.

Kirk Soodhalter is a Ph.D. student in the department of mathematics at Temple. Originally from Houston, TX, he got his undergraduate degree from Tulane University in New Orleans, LA. He likes to get haircuts and make toast. He enjoys manufacturing satire, more of which can be seen at his personal blog.