Anti-Semitic attack on campus

no_hate.jpgLess than an hour ago, President Ann Weaver Hart sent an announcement to the entire university community via email regarding an alleged hate crime on Main Campus. The message came a few minutes after 5 p.m.

But there seems to be a discrepancy. In Hart’s email, she mentioned the incident happening early last Friday morning, however, the university’s crime report suggests it happened early last Thursday morning at 1:27 a.m. Requests to clarify haven’t been answered by university representatives.

Details aside, a non-Temple student was assaulted on North Broad Street by a group of Temple students, who are accused of using anti-Semitic language.

The case was investigated by Temple University Campus Safety Services, according to a university statement, and the students are being referred to the University Disciplinary Committee.

The students are indefinitely suspended and legal action is pending.

The release ended with a reflected the serious nature Temple administration considered the events.

Hate crimes will not be tolerated by Temple University. All manifestations of intolerance threaten the fabric of our institution and our society. Indeed, hatred violates the core values upon which this university was founded — values that are cherished by all of us in the extended Temple family.

The Temple News will pursue all possible leads and report them to you as they come. Stay tuned. In addition, check Tuesday’s print edition for complete coverage, including reaction from Temple’s Jewish community.